It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:40 am
Login

Suhr SL68 Plexi-style Handwired head, my demo

The place to be when Bob means something more than just, well... Bob.

Postby sumis » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:45 am

extremely great sounds!

but to me, it is a sound (just like any early VH tone) that i personally couldn't get with any kind of gear, and that pete probably could get with far less than a SL68 ... to be honest.

... (i'm just trying to get the suhr handwired gas out of my head) ...

information is not knowledge. knowledge is not wisdom. wisdom is not truth. truth is not beauty. beauty is not love. love is not music. music is . . .
sumis
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Suhr » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:39 am

Fret King wrote:Just watched this latest demo on my new 27" iMac, in glorious sound & vision 8)

Really inspirational...the tone, the playin' & composition and the way you
structure & film your demos...

Very tempted to look into this amp, but i wonder what else John has up his sleeve with
Jim Kelley & Guy Hedrick now on board...

I'm just disappointed you're not playing Scotland with Melissa...woulda been great to see you live...

All the best,
Graeme.

A lot ! But Guy hasnt been with us for a while. Not sure what he is up to right now.
www.suhr.com
Please contact me via email through our website.
I won't be checking in here.
Thanks to all who appreciated me being here. It was fun while it lasted.
Suhr
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby toinou » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:09 pm

Amazing sound .. love it !

Is it gonna be a custom order ? or a readily available amp ?

And what price range are we talking here ?
http://www.antoinegoudeseune.com

Only women can make me forget about gear and only gear can make me forget about women.-Soundpurist
toinou
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby cjlectronics » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:24 pm

I went to the Suhr website looking for technical specs on the SL68. I couldn't find any... Am I looking in the wrong spot... maybe I overlooked them in this thread??
cjlectronics

Postby mentoneman » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:42 pm

rockstah wrote:That thing sounds good!

Great demo and playing Pete!

That is the way a Plexi should sound!

Mark

between what PT/Suhr, mojave, and you are doing to preserve the brown
that tone is here for good. i can't imagine how many amps marshall could have sold if they did an EVH sig that reproduced that tone accurately, back in the 80s.

my impression is the suhr 68 is very accurate museum piece magic cranked marshall, the rockstah has more fiery single note edge and sounds more modern and exciting, and the peacemaker has cool glassy clarity in the chords due to lower gain, so the clean to mean is nice, but less slinky/stiffer for single notes. that's where the vertek plexitone pedal comes in for me.

i just wish there was a way to achieve that breathing cranked 100 watter power tubes melting 4x12 speaker cab falling apart tone at low volumes without any hassle, like all that tone and touch response bottled up in a egnater module, but so far the only way i know how to get it is the traditional way.
mentoneman
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby George » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:27 pm

Great sounds and playing!
But how does the speaker in your 1x12 iso cab survives a full cranked 100w Plexi?
George
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby sinasl1 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:31 pm

toinou wrote:Amazing sound .. love it !

Is it gonna be a custom order ? or a readily available amp ?

And what price range are we talking here ?

It's a custom order thing... but they are building them now...
sinasl1
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby sinasl1 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:33 pm

cjlectronics wrote:I went to the Suhr website looking for technical specs on the SL68. I couldn't find any... Am I looking in the wrong spot... maybe I overlooked them in this thread??

It's basically 100 watts, point-to-point wired, and has the switch to go from 120v to 90v. That's it! It's just like a late 60's Marshall plexi otherwise....
sinasl1
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby sinasl1 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:33 pm

George wrote:Great sounds and playing!
But how does the speaker in your 1x12 iso cab survives a full cranked 100w Plexi?

I always use an attenuator.
sinasl1
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby patricef » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:20 pm

What speaker do you use in your cab ?
For Sale:
Suhr Minimix
http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=82734
patricef
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Tone? » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:22 pm

Thanks so much Pete for replying to ALL responses!

Stand up guy!

Happy New year!!
I cant stand my username! lol - NICK
Tone?
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby cjlectronics » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:58 pm

sinasl1 wrote:
cjlectronics wrote:I went to the Suhr website looking for technical specs on the SL68. I couldn't find any... Am I looking in the wrong spot... maybe I overlooked them in this thread??

It's basically 100 watts, point-to-point wired, and has the switch to go from 120v to 90v. That's it! It's just like a late 60's Marshall plexi otherwise....

Cool, thank you for the reply! I am a tech geek and was more interested in the circuit used in the SL68. Is it a quad EL34 power amp with a 12AX7 preamp? Sounds like the Variac setting just switches out the bias resistor(s) for the power tubes...(great idea) but how does this effect the power transformer? Does prematurely wear out your tubes?

Loved the demo Pete!! In a live session, do you use one type of amp for clean and another amp for get down and rock? Thanks again for being available for questions!!

CJ
cjlectronics

Postby sinasl1 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:39 am

patricef wrote:What speaker do you use in your cab ?

Hi, it's one of the old (Weber) M75's. I've used it for a long time.... it's on almost all of my record!
sinasl1
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:29 am

Awesome amp, playing and demo Pete.

Thank you for sharing.
Mark
Large Member
Large Member

Postby sinasl1 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:05 am

cjlectronics wrote:
sinasl1 wrote:

Cool, thank you for the reply! I am a tech geek and was more interested in the circuit used in the SL68. Is it a quad EL34 power amp with a 12AX7 preamp? Sounds like the Variac setting just switches out the bias resistor(s) for the power tubes...(great idea) but how does this effect the power transformer? Does prematurely wear out your tubes?

Loved the demo Pete!! In a live session, do you use one type of amp for clean and another amp for get down and rock? Thanks again for being available for questions!!

CJ

Actually re: variac switch, I believe it is a dual tap power transformer, or something like that. It's a special transformer. I don't know how he does the rebias thing, I think it's pretty crafty from what I understand. But it is exactly like using a regular variac, I know that.
sinasl1
Huge Member
Huge Member

PreviousNext

Return to Gear talk