It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:46 am
Login

Kasha Rockmod II Diary

The place to be when Bob means something more than just, well... Bob.

Postby XelderX » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:03 am

There is so little information posted about the older Kasha Rockmod pre-amps. I thought it would be a good idea to start documenting things about mine. I've run into some small problems with it and this will also help explore and document things as they get fixed. I'll hopefully have some pictures up in the next few days of mine.

On to my particular Rockmod II. It's obviously been modified slightly from the original unit. From everything I have read the standard Rockmod II has five 12AX7s. Mine has six 12AX7s and an effects send/return section with individual level pots for both. John Kasha confirmed that the level control on the effects loop was not an original item. I'm really curious about the extra 12AX7 in my unit.

The main problem I have with the unit right now is that the clean channel is not working at all. When I first plugged it up the clean channel would work at very low volume and sporadically work at the correct level. It seemed to be a loose connection that would trip with the vibration from the speaker cabinet and also by tapping on the top of the amp. Eventually neither tapping or vibration would make the connection and now there is no sound from the clean channel at all.

I'm also going to change all the tubes out for fresh JJ ones. I went ahead and ordered two hi-gain JJs today and will get the other ones shortly. The reason for this is that the crunch (rhythm) and burn (lead) channels just don't have as much gain as should be expected. Holding a single note gives decent sustain and it does dissolve into the first harmonic as John said it should, but there is just no searing distortion behind it. It has a similar distortion sound to a cheap solid state amp. Nowhere near the over abundance of gain people have described. I completely cut the mids out hoping there was some bite in it somewhere, but it just sounds like my 15 watt Peavey Rage practice amp.
Ibanez S1520
Rocktron Prophesy
Kasha Rockmod II---FOR SALE
Peavey Classic 50/50
Laney 4X12
XelderX
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby jdzialak » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:38 am

If the stock units don't normally have a loop, the extra tube could be for your fx loop.

Joe
I'll hang up and listen...
jdzialak
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Duke of Metal » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:37 am

I've got a Modded Kasha Rockmod I (extra crunch channel added) if your interested :lol: :lol:

i am thinking of replacing the tubes on mine to see if it'll make a different in the gain.

Cheers
Duke of Metal
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby XelderX » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:10 am

jdzialak wrote:If the stock units don't normally have a loop, the extra tube could be for your fx loop.

Joe

That's what I'm thinking. I'm going to email a few pictures to Kasha and see if they can just confirm what it is. I took the top off the amp to see if there were any obvious loose connections, but nothing jumped out.
Ibanez S1520
Rocktron Prophesy
Peavey Classic 50/50
Laney 4X12
XelderX
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby XelderX » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 am

Duke of Metal wrote:I've got a Modded Kasha Rockmod I (extra crunch channel added) if your interested :lol: :lol:

i am thinking of replacing the tubes on mine to see if it'll make a different in the gain.

Cheers

Ha...actually, I'll probably never use the crunch channel on mine. I'll spend most of my time on the clean and burn channels. I'll let you know if replacing the tubes in mine make a big enough difference. If it doesn't I'm going to send it back to Kasha and just have him modify it. If your going to call the channel "burn" it should sound more like an ENGL "Fireball".
Ibanez S1520
Rocktron Prophesy
Peavey Classic 50/50
Laney 4X12
XelderX
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby Duke of Metal » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:41 pm

XelderX wrote:
Duke of Metal wrote:I've got a Modded Kasha Rockmod I (extra crunch channel added) if your interested :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Ha...actually, I'll probably never use the crunch channel on mine. I'll spend most of my time on the clean and burn channels. I'll let you know if replacing the tubes in mine make a big enough difference. If it doesn't I'm going to send it back to Kasha and just have him modify it. If your going to call the channel "burn" it should sound more like an ENGL "Fireball".

sounds cool. Do let me know if it makes a difference or not.

Cheers
Duke of Metal
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby XelderX » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:15 am

Today was a good day. I finally got a chance to sit down and poke around inside the amp. I hooked a set of headphones up to the output and plugged my guitar in. With my EMG's I had plenty of signal strength to listen for any interference. My grandfather started checking connections while I played and listened for any sign of trouble. We finally got a good spark out of the capacitor bank and upon further inspection noticed that one of the jumpers connecting two of the capaciters was touching, but the sauder joint had come loose. It was allowing just enough current to get a minimal signal. It was easy to see why vibration was causing the sudden increase in signal as it would touch enough to allow the full charge from the capacitors through. Once we saudered the joint back together I had complete signal and good tone through all three channels.

http://www.msprotege.com/members/xelder ... G_0999.JPG
http://www.msprotege.com/members/xelder ... G_1000.JPG
http://www.msprotege.com/members/xelder ... G_1001.JPG
http://www.msprotege.com/members/xelder ... G_1003.JPG

I finally got it mounted back in my rack and hooked up to the power amp. After a few minutes of dial turning I found a good base setting to build off of. The clean channel on the Kasha is spectacular. With the resonance and presence control on the Peavey power amp I can really dial in the sound. The initial attack thumps you in the chest and then the note just cuts like a razor sharp sword with a chocolat pudding aura around it. In other words, it makes you forget that there are still two other channels to play with on this thing. I didn't spend much time on the crunch channel, but it has a lot of gritty bite. Gave me a bit of a ZZ Tops vibe. The burn channel is where the action is. Tons of gain, huge body...none of the thin fizzy sound that comes out of a lot of hi-gain setups. The only thing I could ask for would be a little scoop on the midrange. I may be kidding myself, but I'm going to hook up a 10-band EQ and see if a little more shaping gets me where I want to be.[/img]
Ibanez S1520
Rocktron Prophesy
Peavey Classic 50/50
Laney 4X12
XelderX
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby XelderX » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:52 am

Duke of Metal wrote:sounds cool. Do let me know if it makes a difference or not.

Cheers

Installed the 2 JJ hi-gain tubes today. They made a world of difference. There a definite increase in gain just from installing the tubes. The sound is a lot more aggressive now. overall I'm happy with the change, but I think it made the need for a little more EQ control more apparent. I would still like a little more mid scoop to tighten up the sound. I have an MXR 10-band being shipped in to help with that. I actually had to back off the presence control on the power amp a few notches to settle the high end down.
Ibanez S1520
Rocktron Prophesy
Peavey Classic 50/50
Laney 4X12
XelderX
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby XelderX » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:36 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0082270184

Had to put her up on Ebay. I can't afford to keep this and the Prophesy.
Ibanez S1520
Rocktron Prophesy
Peavey Classic 50/50
Laney 4X12
XelderX
Medium Member
Medium Member

Return to Gear talk