It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:27 am
Login

Ultimate Ears or JH Audio??..

The place to be when Bob means something more than just, well... Bob.

Postby TroyL » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:34 am

Im about to spring for a new set of IEM moulds and am after some opinions..

Im looking at either the Ultimate Ears or JH Audio stuff but leaning more towards the UE just based on history and reputation.

Just after opinions on the UE-7's vs the UE-11's..is it worth the extra $$$$ to go with the UE-11's?? Im not afraid to spend the extra if it is a significant difference.

Or the JH Audio JH-11 pro or JH-13 pro??

Ive also been reading up on the sensaphonic ambient system where you can mix in ambient sounds..dunno about the extra pack and cabling id need to attatch to my belt though..too much extra bulk

Just after any thoughts/opinions/observations on this..
TroyL
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby andergtr » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:14 pm

i only have the UE-7 units but love them. there is a bump in the lower mids that i like, which is why a loy of bassists and drummers also use them.

haven't tried the UE-11's but would like to.

john ou
my gear blog: http://andergtr.wordpress.com
andergtr
The Ou
The Ou

Postby TGravlin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:37 pm

I have both UE7s and the Sensaphonics 3D Ambient.

Guess which I use everytime. The other is what I carry for a backup and as earplugs/headphones for my Ipod on airplanes.

The extra beltpack with the 3D ambient is a non issue for me.

No contest between the two technologies. The Ambient wins that battle. Every other non ambient IEM i've tried were so close to each other as to be no big deal so long as the fit was good.

One other thing is that the soft earpieces from sensaphonics seal better ALL the time. The acrylic ones from UE (or anyone else for that matter) seem to break the seal more often. Broken seal means LOTS less bass response in that ear.

If I were buying a non ambient system... I'd still probably want a pair of Sensaphonics just because they're more comfortable and seal better.
TGravlin
Large Member
Large Member

Postby Ztone » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:56 pm

Not to derail the thread here, but anyone have opinions on the Westone ES line and how it stacks up to the others being discussed here? I've been thinking about the ES3 and I see they just came out with the ES5. Some friends of mine are endorsed by these guys and have some good things to say.
Jeff

My Studio:
madsamrecording.com
Ztone
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby War in D » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:10 am

One of the guys in my band has UE-7's and really likes them but very expensive. Another band mate has Sensaphonics and swears bu the "soft" design as they, in theory, should be a better fit as mentioned above. Once again pretty spendy.

Here is what is interesting. A guy in the band we share our rehearsal space with (and his guitar player) have gone with Alien Ears. Smaller company and much better prices. Here is the kicker: He researched the acrylic and electronics (guy went psycho researching the suppliers) and found the these guys use the same stuff as Ultimate ears and they are twice (or more) the price. I have been thinking ear molds would come down in price... it has not really happened. Bottom line I think the big companies are "milking" everyone as long as they can.
War in D
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby TroyL » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:27 am

War in D wrote:One of the guys in my band has UE-7's and really likes them but very expensive. Another band mate has Sensaphonics and swears bu the "soft" design as they, in theory, should be a better fit as mentioned above. Once again pretty spendy.

Here is what is interesting. A guy in the band we share our rehearsal space with (and his guitar player) have gone with Alien Ears. Smaller company and much better prices. Here is the kicker: He researched the acrylic and electronics (guy went psycho researching the suppliers) and found the these guys use the same stuff as Ultimate ears and they are twice (or more) the price. I have been thinking ear molds would come down in price... it has not really happened. Bottom line I think the big companies are "milking" everyone as long as they can.

I somewhat agree with the last statement. Compare the JH audio JH-11's $999(on special for $850) to the UE-11's @ $1150.. They're exactly the same spec. And Jerry Harvey is the guy who started Ultimate Ears before they were boughtout by Logitech..
TroyL
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby YetiAl » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:01 pm

just to comment on War in D's post,

i have a pair of the ultimate UE5's and a pair of the alienears C3's
i prefer the c3's and Andre at alien ears is a great guy to deal with
and is happy to help musicians get what they need at a decent price.
now, the one difference is the ue5's are filled where the aliens are a hollow shell,
sonically i have not heard a difference but someone will im sure.
just my take.
check them out
YetiAl
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby BERNARDINI » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:28 pm

i have the ue7, best for live use.... :wink:
www.soberweb.com
www.myspace.com/antoniobernardini
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Antonio-Bernardini-Sôber/244623685582156
twitter @sobernardini
BERNARDINI
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby camitchell » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:48 am

I have a pair of the JH Audio JH16 Pros. They sound very good and I'm extremely happy with them. Excellent midrange clarity and the 16s have a bit more lowend for live playing.

http://www.jhaudio.com/promusic/

I've toured JH Audio's lab here in Florida and they made my ear molds right in the lab. The fit is perfect and they do great work. Very cool bunch of passionate people who work there.
camitchell
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby sinasl1 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:02 pm

I have Sensaphonics 3D ambient and Ultimate UE7's. The sensaphonics are really friggin pricey. And you have the extra pack. And My right side started getting quieter for some reason a couple weeks ago- we sent em in and I guess some filter needs to be replaced..? They want to charge me $100. Now, I sorta have an issue with that and I sorta don't. Why? Because these things cost me $2500 (!!!!) about a year and a half ago- but I've barely used em (this is the 1st full tour I've used them on, with Cornell i used them only a few times and decided they weren't right for that band- too much stage volume for the ambient thing to be cool, it just added chaos).

Now, in every band I've been in, pro ones I mean where they insisted on using in ears- I've gotten ears for free. Either the artist has paid, or (most often) you endorse the things, and they give em to you for free. This was the case with 3 sets of Ultimates that I've had. Someone comes out to rehearsal at the beginning of tour, pours molds for the whole band, and off you go.

Sensaphonics wouldn't even talk to me about an endorsement, or an artist discount. Had to pay full pop- about 3 times what one set of UE7's would cost.
And I did it. because I'm nuts. And loved (in theory) the ambient idea. And it is cool- for the right band- basically, if your band is not too loud onstage, and the players are dynamic and kind of "mix themselves", I'd guess you'd love them. And I've talked them up to people, and recommended them lots (once again, for the right band and the right guy, I think they are cool, the ambient thing is neat).

But cmon f-in please, you're gonna charge me $100 to replace some filter thing, after I spent $2500, and have barely used the damn things? I'm talking a couple months of gigs here. Yes I know I've owned them over a year but C'MON.

Also my friend Ginger used em (she played bass in Smashing Pumpkins) and same deal, she blew one driver up and they wanted to charge for the fix, and I think she said she'd barely used them. She's in the friggin Pumpkins, like hello, maybe help out your high profile artists? That you wouldn't endorse and they still made the plunge?

So anyway, rant over- I'd say based on past experience, Ultimates are cool, that company has always done me right, and the UE7's sound good. I've blown drivers in them twice but they've fixed em (free) and turned them around fast. and i'd look at those Alien ones to and JH.

Sound-wise, minus the ambient thing- the sensaphonics aren't as bassy as the UE7's, they are a bit brighter, and I don't think that's a bad thing- they are a hearing preservation company primarily, and they don't believe in pushing tons of bass onto your eardrum. i have some tinnitus in my left ear, which I attribute to wearing triple driver ultimates and pushing em too loud for 2 1/2 years and 200+ shows. So when i'm using the (dual driver) sensaphonics, i use the limiter on the ambient pack (hard limits at 105 db)- you'd be surprised how much that limiter kicks in. Yes you wanna feel it and rock out but i guarantee a sure fire road to deafness is pushing in-ears too loud for too long. A limiter is your friend..

God luck on your search!
sinasl1
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby ahardmark » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:22 pm

Great post, Pete. Tons of good info. I've been getting worried about hearing loss, so I've had my eye on the Sensaphonics for a while now. It's nice to know ahead of time what I'd be getting into, as they're just so damn expensive. Pumping loud music through headphones and in-ears is a surefire path to deafness, so I think the limiter is pretty key.
ahardmark
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby TroyL » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:38 pm

sinasl1 wrote:I have Sensaphonics 3D ambient and Ultimate UE7's. The sensaphonics are really friggin pricey. And you have the extra pack. And My right side started getting quieter for some reason a couple weeks ago- we sent em in and I guess some filter needs to be replaced..? They want to charge me $100. Now, I sorta have an issue with that and I sorta don't. Why? Because these things cost me $2500 (!!!!) about a year and a half ago- but I've barely used em (this is the 1st full tour I've used them on, with Cornell i used them only a few times and decided they weren't right for that band- too much stage volume for the ambient thing to be cool, it just added chaos).

Now, in every band I've been in, pro ones I mean where they insisted on using in ears- I've gotten ears for free. Either the artist has paid, or (most often) you endorse the things, and they give em to you for free. This was the case with 3 sets of Ultimates that I've had. Someone comes out to rehearsal at the beginning of tour, pours molds for the whole band, and off you go.

Sensaphonics wouldn't even talk to me about an endorsement, or an artist discount. Had to pay full pop- about 3 times what one set of UE7's would cost.
And I did it. because I'm nuts. And loved (in theory) the ambient idea. And it is cool- for the right band- basically, if your band is not too loud onstage, and the players are dynamic and kind of "mix themselves", I'd guess you'd love them. And I've talked them up to people, and recommended them lots (once again, for the right band and the right guy, I think they are cool, the ambient thing is neat).

But cmon f-in please, you're gonna charge me $100 to replace some filter thing, after I spent $2500, and have barely used the damn things? I'm talking a couple months of gigs here. Yes I know I've owned them over a year but C'MON.

Also my friend Ginger used em (she played bass in Smashing Pumpkins) and same deal, she blew one driver up and they wanted to charge for the fix, and I think she said she'd barely used them. She's in the friggin Pumpkins, like hello, maybe help out your high profile artists? That you wouldn't endorse and they still made the plunge?

So anyway, rant over- I'd say based on past experience, Ultimates are cool, that company has always done me right, and the UE7's sound good. I've blown drivers in them twice but they've fixed em (free) and turned them around fast. and i'd look at those Alien ones to and JH.

Sound-wise, minus the ambient thing- the sensaphonics aren't as bassy as the UE7's, they are a bit brighter, and I don't think that's a bad thing- they are a hearing preservation company primarily, and they don't believe in pushing tons of bass onto your eardrum. i have some tinnitus in my left ear, which I attribute to wearing triple driver ultimates and pushing em too loud for 2 1/2 years and 200+ shows. So when i'm using the (dual driver) sensaphonics, i use the limiter on the ambient pack (hard limits at 105 db)- you'd be surprised how much that limiter kicks in. Yes you wanna feel it and rock out but i guarantee a sure fire road to deafness is pushing in-ears too loud for too long. A limiter is your friend..

God luck on your search!

Great info man!

I ended up going with the UE-11's as the sensaphonics are just stupid expensive for me and JH-Audio never replied to any email. Doesnt make me feel secure when im dealing with a company from so far away.

Just got off the phone with David from UE.. Cool guy. They seem like a safe bet. Just hope they fit well when they arrive! Not keen on sending them back and forth! haha.. I do feel a bit wierd spending so much on IEM but man.. i use them every weekend live and at rehearsals too so its about time i stopped fucking around and got some serious ones.

Hear you on the volume thing too..ive got friends who turn their IEM up waaay too loud and have really fucked their ears up. I use them so i can lower the volume flooding into my ears!! Im thinking about getting an external limiter too. I also figured the ambient thing would probably not be much use to me. I play with some LOUD drummers and i sometimes find myself on stages or with bands where the other guy(s) use wedges.

Cant wait to get them! I got them pimped out too haha.. white IEM with the falcon logo off my white falcon..and white cable too haha
TroyL
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Suhr » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:04 pm

I want to protect my sons ears for concerts and rehearsal, no in ear. Just natural reduction.
What do you guys like for that?
Thanks
JS
www.suhr.com
Please contact me via email through our website.
I won't be checking in here.
Thanks to all who appreciated me being here. It was fun while it lasted.
Suhr
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby suckamc » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:14 pm

Suhr wrote:I want to protect my sons ears for concerts and rehearsal, no in ear. Just natural reduction.
Thanks
JS

Hey, speaking of whom.... has he recorded any other killer stuff? That one track you posted a couple of years ago was just awesome.
suckamc
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Suhr » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:05 am

suckamc wrote:
Suhr wrote:I want to protect my sons ears for concerts and rehearsal, no in ear. Just natural reduction.
Thanks
JS

Hey, speaking of whom.... has he recorded any other killer stuff? That one track you posted a couple of years ago was just awesome.

He is doing Rave techno music right now :shock:
Goes for EE in UCSB in a month so he has got his hands full !
With theft in schools I'm making him a beater 7 string with a hole thru it so he can chain it to his desk
www.suhr.com
Please contact me via email through our website.
I won't be checking in here.
Thanks to all who appreciated me being here. It was fun while it lasted.
Suhr
Huge Member
Huge Member

Next

Return to Gear talk