It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:37 pm
Login

got a van den hul cable from lava cable...

The place to be when Bob means something more than just, well... Bob.

Postby andergtr » Sun May 30, 2010 4:28 am

wow, color me impressed. this is by far the fattest, richest-sounding cable i've played yet. i love my evidence stuff and will always use that in my rig, but my main instrument cable is probably now gonna be this van den hul.

the best way i can describe it is this way: sometimes when you play certain high notes on certain guitars, it sounds a little thin and tinny. i'm talking about bending the 17th fret and up on the high E string. on a standard mogami 2524, it's gonna sound a little thin--very different than playing in the middle of the neck on the G string, for example.

with this van den hul, everything sounds fat and rich. those tinny notes go away, and you get something really thick and full. this cable makes bright guitars much warmer, and fat-sounding guitars just plain fucking corpulent.

i'm sold. it's expensive as all hell for a guitar cable (over $300 for a 20-footer), but i'm a believer. i think i'm gonna order another 5' speaker cable from mark at lava cable. i got one already, and it was as if the whole rig just sounded much wider in bandwidth and BIGGER.

just had to rave. i'm playing around watching the lakers game now, and through this plain old line 6 spider valve you can hear a huge difference between this and my mogami cable.

john ou
my gear blog: http://andergtr.wordpress.com
andergtr
The Ou
The Ou

Postby TroyL » Sun May 30, 2010 5:26 am

How does it compare to the evidence audio Lyric HG? I sometimes find the lyric to be too toppy or zingy in the top end. Call that transparency or whatever, but its too much zing for my liking. Is the van den hul similar?
TroyL
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby andergtr » Sun May 30, 2010 5:36 am

TroyL wrote:How does it compare to the evidence audio Lyric HG? I sometimes find the lyric to be too toppy or zingy in the top end. Call that transparency or whatever, but its too much zing for my liking. Is the van den hul similar?

i'm about ready to run by my studio to crank it up at super-loud volumes, so i'll let you know shortly.

the evidence to me is a little darker than a mogami 2524 (which i use as a reference because you can find them easily at guitar center). but that's not really the only way to describe it. the evidence allows you to use the top end a lot more than the mogami. turning up the top end on your amp makes it more usable--the highs are more silky than on the mogami, which can sound harsh in comparison after A/B-ing.

the van den hul is described as being more transparent, but i'm not sure i hear that. what i DO hear is a much fatter, more sustainy sound than i get with the mogami.

i'm gonna A/B the van den hul and evidence and come back to you.

john ou
andergtr
The Ou
The Ou

Postby andergtr » Sun May 30, 2010 6:32 am

okay, i just cranked up the amps loud enough to wake the dead.

the evidence lyric is more open than the van den hul, with more top end. however, it is also noticeably les pronounced in the lower mids and bass than the van den hul, which is just fucking huge. if you want to warm or thicken up a brighter-sounding guitar, the van den hul is just amazing for that. it's a very noticeable difference. the van den hul is also noticeably louder, with more sustain.

the evidence is a great cable and i will continue to use it. i like it and it certainly doesn't pale in comparison to the van den hul. they are both killer cables that sound just amazing. the mogami, in comparison, sounds a little flat and lifeless in comparison to these two cables.

i'm not sure i'd go to the point of rewiring the entire rig with this cable, but i'm tempted enough to buy another van den hul 20-footer to stick between pedalboard and amp to see how much more difference there is.

for what it's worth, i am using an evidence lyric between guitar and pedalboard, and then an evidence lyric HG between pedalboard and amp. the only reason i'm doing this is because the HG is really stiff in comparison to the regular lyric.

the van den hul is a winner, and i'm tempted to buy some more stuff from mark at lava cable and then just to try them all.

very cool stuff. i'm digging it.

john ou
andergtr
The Ou
The Ou

Postby Guitarzan » Sun May 30, 2010 7:49 am

Try a Vovox....they are amazing too. My favorite right now.
Guitarzan
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby Aro » Sun May 30, 2010 10:42 am

I was using the Evidence Lyric HG cable a few months about a year ago, and then ordered the Van Den Hul cable just to compare. The VDH quickly came my main instrument cable. I found that the Evidence was a lot louder, but the VDH has a nice balanced spectrum that it delivers. In my rig I find that the Lyric stuff sounded too artificial, and the VDH's are really strong and transparent - kind of like George L's (which I like as well) without the vintage-type bass roll-off. Really good with acoustics too; was playing a few gigs in Southeast Asia with rental gear - just carrying the VDH cable and a tuner to the gigs..:)

I just ordered the VDH speaker cable and some patch cables as well to try out..
Aro
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby andergtr » Sun May 30, 2010 6:47 pm

Guitarzan wrote:Try a Vovox....they are amazing too. My favorite right now.

thanks. i'll look into them.

john ou
andergtr
The Ou
The Ou

Postby andergtr » Sun May 30, 2010 6:48 pm

Aro wrote:I was using the Evidence Lyric HG cable a few months about a year ago, and then ordered the Van Den Hul cable just to compare. The VDH quickly came my main instrument cable. I found that the Evidence was a lot louder, but the VDH has a nice balanced spectrum that it delivers. In my rig I find that the Lyric stuff sounded too artificial, and the VDH's are really strong and transparent - kind of like George L's (which I like as well) without the vintage-type bass roll-off. Really good with acoustics too; was playing a few gigs in Southeast Asia with rental gear - just carrying the VDH cable and a tuner to the gigs..:)

I just ordered the VDH speaker cable and some patch cables as well to try out..

cool. always good to hear others' opinions. i felt the VDH was a lot louder than the evidence.

both are great cables, and i will continue to use both.

john ou
andergtr
The Ou
The Ou

Postby Les Paul Gibson » Sun May 30, 2010 6:51 pm

sweet, I use the VoVox from lava cable as well as their ELC cables, I might have to try the Van der hal, van halen, er whatever...
What we have here is a failure to communicate -Cool Hand Luke
Les Paul Gibson
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby andergtr » Sun May 30, 2010 6:59 pm

Les Paul Gibson wrote:sweet, I use the VoVox from lava cable as well as their ELC cables, I might have to try the Van der hal, van halen, er whatever...

i think you will be amazed.

john ou
andergtr
The Ou
The Ou

Postby mk2c » Sun May 30, 2010 9:33 pm

I posted about the VDH being the best cable around months ago and a bunch of people around here roasted me for it (I did say it was better than the evidence). Color me impressed...someone agrees!
mk2c
Large Member
Large Member

Postby Eivind » Sun May 30, 2010 10:02 pm

Instead of making a new thread for cables (since John already bumped 5 threads from 2006-2008) 8)

What do you guys think of the cables from Elixir? And George L's for pedalboard (or the new Elixir patch cables for that matter (only thing is they come in fixed sizes) ..

Is it all Evidence / Mogami / Van Den Hul / Klotz / Neutrik / DIY (soldering etc) that counts for you gear homo's (phun intended), or can your rig survive with George L's without you losing your head? :D .. and Elixir for instrument cables?
Eivind
Large Member
Large Member

Postby trazan » Sun May 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Yeah, but how many of those old cable threads are ya gonna pull back in here? 5 Van Den Hul threads on the first page might be a bit overkill, no?

That said...capacitance, capacitance, capacitance...
trazan
Large Member
Large Member

Postby Eivind » Sun May 30, 2010 10:18 pm

trazan wrote:Yeah, but how many of those old cable threads are ya gonna pull back in here? 5 Van Den Hul threads on the first page might be a bit overkill, no?

Which is why I used the thread started today ..
Eivind
Large Member
Large Member

Postby trazan » Sun May 30, 2010 10:40 pm

Eivind wrote:
trazan wrote:Yeah, but how many of those old cable threads are ya gonna pull back in here? 5 Van Den Hul threads on the first page might be a bit overkill, no?

Which is why I used the thread started today ..

I wasn't talking to you, sir :wink:
trazan
Large Member
Large Member

Next

Return to Gear talk