It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:05 am
Login

Payne Labs mEQ?

The place to be when Bob means something more than just, well... Bob.

Postby Jun Tatsuoka » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:57 pm

Anyone tried the MIDI EQ?
Very interesting if tone-suck factors are low:
http://payne-labs.com/joomla/index.php? ... &Itemid=53

I'd like to know if there is any money back guarantees etc. but no email/contact info, only payment links, does scare me a little.

Jun
Jun Tatsuoka
Large Member
Large Member

Postby kiff » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:10 pm

In my (biased) opinion it doesn't suck tone and I use it in my own rig. It also uses true bypassing when inactive. If you don't like it, I'll do a refund within a reasonable time frame (30 days?) And yea, I need to put up some more contact info on the site, but I'm new to this and was afraid of tons of spam. You can contact me at admin(AT)payne-labs(DOT)com
kiff
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby claxor » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:04 pm

Hey Kiff,

I'm a EQ junkie, so I'm curious also. Looked at the manual- what is the freq boost/cut range? 12 db? Also, any chance of making a 10 band like an MXR M-108? Oh, man.... :D
claxor
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby kiff » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:22 pm

Hi claxor. Yea, it's right around +/-12db (it can vary slightly due to component tolerances). I'm currently working on a 7band version. I eventually would like to make a 10band, but it would require another LED matrix display and a new chassis (which I can't justify buying at the moment). The 7band will use the same chassis.
kiff
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby claxor » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:49 pm

kiff wrote:Hi claxor. Yea, it's right around +/-12db (it can vary slightly due to component tolerances). I'm currently working on a 7band version. I eventually would like to make a 10band, but it would require another LED matrix display and a new chassis (which I can't justify buying at the moment). The 7band will use the same chassis.

That's great news! I really only need 7 bands at any given time... I've discovered that with the 10 band, the freq at the far ends can't really be heard on a guitar. I really just love the quality of the MXR 10-band and the frequencies it alters. No noise, like the Boss GE-7 people complain about. So, the MXR 10-band is my sonic benchmark, really. Can the eqs that you are building be placed in the amp loop? Also, it might make things easier if you use basic labels on the device itself.
claxor
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Matt5150 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:19 pm

Really great idea.

I have always wondered why amp manufacturers haven't offered more eq'ing on their amps?

Matt
"They talk about me like a dog, talkin about the clothes I wear. But they don't realize they're the ones who's square."
Matt5150
O.S.C.C.M
O.S.C.C.M

Postby claxor » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:48 pm

Matt5150 wrote:Really great idea.

I have always wondered why amp manufacturers haven't offered more eq'ing on their amps?

Matt

Maybe because of people on boards, such as this, that put down eq devices with guitar rigs... :lol:
claxor
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Matt5150 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:55 pm

claxor wrote:
Matt5150 wrote:Really great idea.

Matt

Maybe because of people on boards, such as this, that put down eq devices with guitar rigs... :lol:

touche.

:D
"They talk about me like a dog, talkin about the clothes I wear. But they don't realize they're the ones who's square."
Matt5150
O.S.C.C.M
O.S.C.C.M

Postby kiff » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:15 pm

claxor wrote:That's great news! I really only need 7 bands at any given time...
Yea, a long time ago, I bought a 31band for my rig, but quickly realized that it was just WAYYY too much. It really didn't give me anything more usable than a GE7. I'm sure many would disagree on that, but... :)
Can the eqs that you are building be placed in the amp loop?
Oh yea, the mEQ is intended for the effects loop.
Also, it might make things easier if you use basic labels on the device itself.
I know :( I had to hold back on that due to the cost of minimum orders and all of that fun stuff. I'm just getting the K-Switch silk screened. The mEQ will be next...
kiff
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby spanny » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:17 pm

I have a couple K Switches from Payne Labs, and I am very happy with. Kiff is a good guy to deal with :D
Download my band's album for free!
[url]http://tadashi.bandcamp.com[/url]

My Gear:
PRS CU24's, CE24's, CE22's, EB MM JP6, Fender American Strat
Diezel VH4, Mesa Roadster, Mark IV, Mesa Stiletto, Mesa 4x12 cabs
spanny
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby kiff » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:26 pm

spanny wrote:I have a couple K Switches from Payne Labs, and I am very happy with. Kiff is a good guy to deal with :D

Thanks, likewise!
kiff
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby claxor » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:52 am

Kiff,

No problem about the labels. That's not the most critical thing, although, it would be nice.

Looking at the device itself, I think the other real concern I have is the range of boost or cut each eq slider allows for. The mEQ has 7 LEDs vertically. So it has three boost LEDs and three cut LEDs past flatline. It would be nice to have just a tad more range, like 9 LEDs vertically, so more sutble changes can be made and stored to your tone.

So how about a mEQ with 7 bands, and 9 LEDs vertically? (now I'm pushing it, huh?) :lol:
claxor
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby kiff » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:55 am

claxor wrote:The mEQ has 7 LEDs vertically. So it has three boost LEDs and three cut LEDs past flatline.

It actually has 128 different "positions" (to match MIDI). It might be hard to tell by the video, but when you're "in between" two of the LEDs they both flash at different rates to show how far you are between them. If you're really close to one, it will flash very fast (and may just appear dimmed). Is that any better? ;)
kiff
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby claxor » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:06 pm

kiff wrote:
claxor wrote:The mEQ has 7 LEDs vertically. So it has three boost LEDs and three cut LEDs past flatline.

It actually has 128 different "positions" (to match MIDI). It might be hard to tell by the video, but when you're "in between" two of the LEDs they both flash at different rates to show how far you are between them. If you're really close to one, it will flash very fast (and may just appear dimmed). Is that any better? ;)

Hmmm... 128 positions total, or per frequency? Still trying to get an idea of physical range per frequency (not db range). Analogies are welcome, or other graphic eqs that you can think of that visually resemble the range. (I'm a visual guy) Thanks for your help!
claxor
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby kiff » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:05 pm

claxor wrote:Hmmm... 128 positions total, or per frequency? Still trying to get an idea of physical range per frequency (not db range). Analogies are welcome, or other graphic eqs that you can think of that visually resemble the range. (I'm a visual guy) Thanks for your help!

Per frequency :) Just did a quick vid of the 7 band prototype (using the chassis of a 5band) to show how the display works. It starts off on the volume/attenuation and then I go through some frequencies and then store the patch.

The displaying of the "positions" is a little glitchy since I'm still adapting the code from the 5band version. But, you should still get the idea...
kiff
Medium Member
Medium Member

Next

Return to Gear talk