It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:21 am
Login

Ernie Ball VP JR Mods?

The place to be when Bob means something more than just, well... Bob.

Postby dshebaylo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:43 pm

Does anyone know of any mods for an Ernie Ball VP JR??? I wish that Ernie Ball made a stereo version. I know they make a stereo version of the larger sized volume pedals, but I don't really have the space for one of those on my board. So I was thinking of trying to mod out a VP JR to be stereo. So if anyone has any ideas or experience with this, please let me know. Thanks a lot.
Dan
loud. louder. loudest
dshebaylo
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby beej » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:55 pm

You'd need two pots to sweep in Stereo.

I added a TRS jack to my VP Jr. One less cable to run back to the amp when I'm using it.
beej
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby dshebaylo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:22 pm

so your trs jack is for input and out put I am assuming? do you have a schematic? or can you explain more of what you did? Thanks for the heads up.
Dan
loud. louder. loudest
dshebaylo
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby beej » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:53 am

Yes, that's right. With my Badger rig I use a stereo cable from the amp (breaks out into a Y at the amp) to the VP Jr. On the VP I unwired the jacks and wired up a TRS jack for input/ouput. Pretty straight forward.

Also have a second switched TRS jack. The in/out are connected when nothing is plugged in. When you connect a cable, it's a send/receive jack so I can run another stereo cable to a little breakout box on my pedalboard. I use that if I want to run the delay in the loop instead of out front. In that case, the amp send runs to the breakout box, then back, with the VP pedal last in the chain. Just handy for me.
beej
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby dshebaylo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:23 am

Hey Beej,
Thanks again for the info. I am thinking about getting one of the dual pots for the stereo/panner version of the pedal (even though it's a 500k) and using that to mod the pedal. I will have to drill another hole in the black box portion at the front of the pedal and add another jack. I found a schematic that looks like it will work, the only thing I am concerned about is if the dual pot will actually fit in the VP JR. Not 100% sure about that yet. If anyone else wants to chime in if they have info on that, that would be awesome. Thanks a lot.
Dan
loud. louder. loudest
dshebaylo
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby beej » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Why not just pick up a stereo VP and save yourself the trouble?
beej
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby dshebaylo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:28 pm

Ernie Ball doesn't make a stereo VP JR, and I don't have the space on my board for the larger version they make.
loud. louder. loudest
dshebaylo
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby beej » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:42 pm

Ah, gotcha. Certainly worth a try then. Sounds like a fun project.
beej
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby db_inst_amp » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:57 pm

Hey dshebaylo:

If the dual 500K will fit in the JR then it might work out for you. I would leave the front like it is and remove all the circuit guts. That way you don't have to worry about the taper switch circuit. Instead of drilling a new hole just use a stereo jack for left and right. If the dual 500k doesn't fit, you might could use an opamp type pan and try to use the Jr 250K single gang pot.
Derrick
dbinstrumentamp.com
db_inst_amp
Large Member
Large Member

Postby dshebaylo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:05 pm

Thanks for the tip on that... I'll probably end up drilling a hole anyway, because I don't really want to have to use stereo "Y" to mono/mono cables. But we'll see. Can you explain a little more about using the op amp pan though? that sounds interesting, and I am definitely interested in that as an option. Thanks for the info.
Dan
loud. louder. loudest
dshebaylo
Medium Member
Medium Member

Postby db_inst_amp » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:14 pm

We do all passive stuff so I've never tried it, but here is some info.

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/panner.pdf

My guess is the Audio 250k in the Jr won't control the opamp to well, but another single gang pot might fit in the Jr that does.
Derrick
dbinstrumentamp.com
db_inst_amp
Large Member
Large Member

Postby dshebaylo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:23 pm

So an email from Ernie Ball says that the pots from the VP JR won't fit the larger sized pedals and the pots from the larger sized pedals won't fit the VP JR... but really I think they are just saying that to deter me from trying to mod my pedal...haha
oh well. I am going to go ahead and order the dual pots for the stereo pedal and try my luck. I am sure I will be able to mod it some how. Thanks for all the input and advice... Keep it coming.
loud. louder. loudest
dshebaylo
Medium Member
Medium Member

Return to Gear talk