It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:58 pm
Login

Rocktron Piranha vs. VooDu Valve preamps

The place to be when Bob means something more than just, well... Bob.

Postby medwards1969 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:36 pm

How does a Rocktron VooDu Valve Preamp compare to the Rocktron Piranha, tone-wise? Does any one out there have both? Will these units sound good using a VHT 2:50:2 power amp? Is the Voo doo Valve a derivitive of the Piranha or a totally different unit? Which came first?
medwards1969
Large Member
Large Member

Postby Rush » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:46 am

medwards1969 wrote:How does a Rocktron VooDu Valve Preamp compare to the Rocktron Piranha, tone-wise? Does any one out there have both? Will these units sound good using a VHT 2:50:2 power amp? Is the Voo doo Valve a derivitive of the Piranha or a totally different unit? Which came first?

I've owned both and they are both great units. The Voodu Valve is going to be a better choice if your looking for an all-in-one type of preamp unit similar to a POD but with a tube, and the Piranha is a killer preamp with two tubes and 3 channels or modes (clean, classic tube, modern tube), full midi control and pots for controlling the Bass/Mid/Mid Freq./Treb/Gain/Vol on the front panel.

They are two totally different units. The Voodu Valve is hard to beat for a practice tool and does a pretty good job at being a preamp. It blows away the two digital modelers I've tested it against (VAmp2, POD XT Pro) as far as tone is concerned. It also has some pretty nice features and FX built into it. The Piranha is IMO up there with a Triaxis in terms of sound and versitility. I also prefer the Piranha over the Triaxis for it's front panel pots among other things. Both units are equipped with FX loop, XLR outs and built HUSH.

I've used both with a VHT 2:50:2 and they sounded great, but The Piranha blows the Voodu Valve out of the water as a preamp and tone machine.

Piranha

Voodu Valve
"It's good, but it needs a breakdown in 7/8 and a 24 minute guitar solo."
Rush
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby medwards1969 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:00 am

Thanks! Great info.! I bought a Piranha used on E-Bay a few months ago and am impressed with it. I am now looking for a power amp to put with it. Hoping to get a VHT 2:50:2 at some point. Both the Piranha and the Voodu Valve seem to be good buys as used units. I was wondering why Rocktron seems to have abandoned that thing and gone with all these all-in-one boxes that don't seem to have stirred people in the market place so much.

My thought is that a rack ultimately has got to work in six spaces if you are going to haul it around much. That puts some pretty serious limitations on rack gear. I figure one space for a preamp, two for a power amp, one for an fx box, and one for a power supply, well, that's six and that's it. Hopefully the thing won't overheat in that configuration!
medwards1969
Large Member
Large Member

Postby tuvokzeta9 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:05 am

Yeah man the Piranha is way better than the other Rocktron boxes. The old school Chameleon is good too. The key to the Piranha is you can have the 250Hz zone on the eq... with that you can boost or dump that mid section. Its a great preamp... I'm surprised that it never really took off... maybe cuz it says Rocktron and not Bogner on it... he he... :lol:
tuvokzeta9
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Rush » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:30 am

tuvokzeta9 wrote:Yeah man the Piranha is way better than the other Rocktron boxes. The old school Chameleon is good too. The key to the Piranha is you can have the 250Hz zone on the eq... with that you can boost or dump that mid section. Its a great preamp... I'm surprised that it never really took off... maybe cuz it says Rocktron and not Bogner on it... he he... :lol:

The Mid Freq. is one amazing tone shaping knob! I can dial in just about whatever I need to hear with this preamp. The cleans could be a little better IMO, but they are pretty darn good as-is.
Rush
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Neverwas » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:14 am

I have used both of those preamps extensively. I'd say the Piranah is better at the low-mid gain sounds. The V-V is an all-in-one metal machine with terrific effects - some of the stock patches just sound amazing with some tweaking (at least lowering the effect mix), the delays and chorus are simply excellent. IMO those who give up on this preamp too quickly did not understand how to EQ their tone (EQ is done in 3 locations for each patch). I had a 4-sp rack with V-V + tube amp and 4x12 cab as my staple rig for a metal band for a long time and it always shocked people how good it sounded.
As I got more into prog metal and became a better player I grew tired of it as it's not an amp that responds well to the player's dynamics, despite the "variac" feature they implemented. For that the Piranah is better, not as good as all-tube preamps that are 2-3x the price, but that's expected. The Piranah is good tool for the price.
This space for rent.
Neverwas
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby VoodooJaron » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:35 am

Axeclicker -

Just to get off topic for a split second:

I personally think that your signature rules. 8)

VJ
There's only three reasons things don't get done - you're ignorant or uninformed of what to do, you are incapable of doing it or you just don't give a shit. - My Grandpa
VoodooJaron
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby TheGrooveking » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:52 am

I love the Piranha, I have two of them!!! If you want to improve the tone, especially the clean change the #1 tube out for a Electro Harmonix 12AT7 and put a Electro Harmonix 12AX7 in the #2 position. This will make you smile big time!!!

TheGrooveking
SOME OF MY GEAR: http://community.webshots.com/user/thegrooveking

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/TheGrooveking/RAMMINYOU.jpg[/img]
TheGrooveking
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Rush » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:03 pm

TheGrooveking wrote:I love the Piranha, I have two of them!!! If you want to improve the tone, especially the clean change the #1 tube out for a Electro Harmonix 12AT7 and put a Electro Harmonix 12AX7 in the #2 position. This will make you smile big time!!!

TheGrooveking

I'll check that out GK, thanks for the tip. You have a RIDICULOUS amount of gear! So how does the Piranha stack up in your opinion to the other stuff in this pic? :)

Rush
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby TheGrooveking » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:59 am

The Piranha stands proud against all competition!!! It a very tweakable preamp and has alot of features, plus being midi controllable. You can set continuous controllers to change parameters, such as eq shelf, treble, gain, hush. It's a pretty comphrensive unit, it is a shame that it didn't take off, but it's price point put it up there above the Voodu Valve, so alot of people thought it wasn't worth it. Most of the problem stems from presets that were made by a group of monkeys. Don't get me wrong some of the presets were good starting points, but most were like alot of other rack gear, had too much of this or too much of that. Once tweaked it can be a killer preamp, capable of great cleans and screaming smokin' leads and killer crunch. So it's definitely in the hands of the operator to bring out it's tones.

As a direct comparison, I can dial in pretty much almost any tone any of the other preamp only units can provide. So based on a one space super flexible unit, it stands at the top of my list. The only other preamps that get near it are, for clean the Mesa Studio, for lead the Soldano SP77 and for crunch the Voodoo Lab Preamp. So it can hold it's own like I said. To me it's a keeper!!!

TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Rush » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:40 pm

TheGrooveking wrote:The Piranha stands proud against all competition!!! It a very tweakable preamp and has alot of features, plus being midi controllable. You can set continuous controllers to change parameters, such as eq shelf, treble, gain, hush. It's a pretty comphrensive unit, it is a shame that it didn't take off, but it's price point put it up there above the Voodu Valve, so alot of people thought it wasn't worth it. Most of the problem stems from presets that were made by a group of monkeys. Don't get me wrong some of the presets were good starting points, but most were like alot of other rack gear, had too much of this or too much of that. Once tweaked it can be a killer preamp, capable of great cleans and screaming smokin' leads and killer crunch. So it's definitely in the hands of the operator to bring out it's tones.

As a direct comparison, I can dial in pretty much almost any tone any of the other preamp only units can provide. So based on a one space super flexible unit, it stands at the top of my list. The only other preamps that get near it are, for clean the Mesa Studio, for lead the Soldano SP77 and for crunch the Voodoo Lab Preamp. So it can hold it's own like I said. To me it's a keeper!!!

TheGrooveking

I agree man.. I was sold as soon as I heard the crunch coming out of it! It gave me exactly what I had been looking for by combining several other amps with various pedals. I'm going to order a JJ 12AT7 and an Electro 12AT7 to test the cleans with. It's my fav piece of Rocktron gear with ease.

I am looking forward to testing out the new v3 Triaxis though, but I haven't owned anything that even came close to the Piranha as far as control and tones are concerned. I love the MIDI implementation on it too.

The Voodu Valve was over 1k when it first came out, so how much were they asking for the Piranha?!? :)
Rush
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby TheGrooveking » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:45 am

When the Piranha came out the Voodu Valve was going for around $700 and they were asking $759 for the Piranha.

TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Angelic Layer » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:40 pm

How is the Chameleon online, if its compared to the above 2 units?
Angelic Layer
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby TheGrooveking » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:38 am

The Chameleon online is a good unit, it has the same DSP engine as the Voodu Valve, but it's preamp is solid state. No tube tone to be had hear!!! Pun intended, the warmth and bounce as some may call it from a tube is just not there. For heary grind type tone and some great cleans the Chameleon can do it, but for that tube depth it just won't do it.

TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking
Huge Member
Huge Member

Next

Return to Gear talk