It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:15 am
Login

Dan Huff sound

The place to be when Bob means something more than just, well... Bob.

Postby PellePoP » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:58 pm

I wonder if any of you guys out there know what amps he used on the giant albums......
That guitarsound is awesome....
PellePoP
Small Member
Small Member

Postby brightboy » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:53 am

Speaking of Dann, how did the following fly under the HRI radar????

http://www.ccentertainment.com/dhuff.htm

Cheers,

Jeff
"....you can't polish a turd...." Steve Lukather
brightboy
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Juice-squeezer » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:43 am

I've seen it, it's kinda cheesy looking. I think it's like christmas songs.
Juice-squeezer

Postby nashvillerocker » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:47 am

PellePoP wrote:I wonder if any of you guys out there know what amps he used on the giant albums......
That guitarsound is awesome....

What I have seen, Dan was using 5150, Vht pwr amp, Boogie studio preamp, Eventide, Roland 3000 delays and some other rack things controlled with a Bradshaw switching system.

Hope this helps some,
C. DiMella 8)
nashvillerocker
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby mkeditor » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:20 am

Doesn't Giant predate the 5150? The first album was cut in 1989. When did the 5150 come out?

BTW: I love Dan's tone....and playing on that album. Very Cool.
mkeditor
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Ian » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:16 am

I know that some people will tell you that Dann use an original Kasha Rockmod preamp on the Giant sessions.....and this "may" be true.

However, I recall having the first Giant record, and I called Makin' Music in LA (this was back in 1989/90). I spoke to a guy there who was doing cartage for Brauer Rentals during those sessions, and he told me that Dann was using a Soldano-modded Marshall for a lot of those sessions.

He said that the amp was slaved through his rack....

I forget the guy's name......it's been a while....

Anyway, I called Mike Soldano, and sent him my JCM800 (vertical input of course ;)).

When I got the amp back, it was so noisy that it was almost unusable!

I was really disappointed......so I dumped it quickly....

Man, if I had a dollar for every dollar I've wasted experimenting with gear, I'd be rich! ;)

Regards....
Which way to the beach???
Ian
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Matt5150 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:18 am

Dann has used everything from modded Fender amps to Boogies. His various effects racks are famous for their size.

I think the Giant era was an almalgamation of his modded Marshalls and Fender heads for clean.

Dann received two 5150's (the only tweed covered ones ever made) from Peavey in June of 1992 and still has one. This is mine. :D

Matt V.
"They talk about me like a dog, talkin about the clothes I wear. But they don't realize they're the ones who's square."
Matt5150
O.S.C.C.M
O.S.C.C.M

Postby mpc » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:15 am

Juice-squeezer wrote:I've seen it, it's kinda cheesy looking. I think it's like christmas songs.

I have this CD. Basically it is a culmination of some of Dann's early solos from various artists songs that were recorded for 'Home Sweet Home' records.
I spoke with Dann about this CD and he told me he had heard about it but had no part in it. He wasn't impressed one bit. :evil:
mpc
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby christones » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:28 am

I saw the Giant tour after "Last of the runaways" came out. At that time Dann's rig had the Kasha and the Boogie studio preamp in it (plus VHT power amp). As far as the record goes: I think it could be something totally different, cause the producer (Terry Thomas) might have had lots of amps that were used. Just check Foreigners "Unusual heat"... same era, same producer, almost same guitar sound... Anyway, Giant's debut is one of my all time favorites...
CT
C.T.P. - The Higher They Climb - New CD out now!
christones
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Optimus Prime » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:00 pm

I was under the impression that he also used the JMP-1.
Optimus Prime
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby mkeditor » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:08 pm

It is too bad that we don't get many opportunities to see/hear Dan like that these days. At least you can catch Luke and Landau at the Potato every now and again.

I posted about seeing Giant when they first came out here if you are interested:

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/board/viewt ... highlight=
mkeditor
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby JDouglee » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:33 pm

You could always email Andy Brauer, he might tell ya what the main Giant amp sound was.
'We're in our late 40's. I'm forty-seventeen!' - Alex Lifeson
JDouglee
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby nashvillerocker » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:35 pm

mkeditor wrote:It is too bad that we don't get many opportunities to see/hear Dan like that these days. At least you can catch Luke and Landau at the Potato every now and again.

I posted about seeing Giant when they first came out here if you are interested:

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/board/viewt ... highlight=

I agree about Dann playing out more would be cool! He doesn't even play much here in nashville. Dann has done some things with Fath Hill and makes more money producing.

Dann is also a family man too, so I belive this lets him stay home and make bucks.

Thanks for the info,
C. DiMella 8)
nashvillerocker
Huge Member
Huge Member

Postby Juice-squeezer » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:42 pm

Last time I saw Dann's rack in cartage, he had one of those 2 space digitech units. 2101?
he's pretty much ditched the whole rack thing now days, like most guys around here.
here's a pic of a session a few years back. Matchless and a skb pedalboard.
I do know he digs the Keely comp. and uses the Line6 pedals all the time.

Last edited by Juice-squeezer on Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Juice-squeezer

Postby mpc » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:47 pm

Juice-squeezer wrote:Last time I saw Dann's rack in cartage, he had one of those 2 space digitech units. 2101?
he's pretty much ditched the whole rack thing now days, as most guys arond here.
here's a pic of a session a few years back. Matchless and a skb pedalboard.

Where's the picture??????
mpc
Huge Member
Huge Member

Next

Return to Gear talk